National Cleaning Week will next take place March 26 – April 1, 2023.
Each year, starting on the fourth Sunday in March, we celebrate the annual tradition of spring cleaning. Spring is the most popular time for deep cleaning.
The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) theme for this year's National Cleaning Week is Understanding Clean.
Everyone has a right to understand what is in the cleaning products they bring into their homes. Cleaning product manufacturers are providing more information than ever before and are committed to making this information consistent, accessible, and understandable. For National Cleaning Week, we’re raising awareness of these resources and how they can enhance understanding of the cleaning process and cleaning products.
Origins of National Cleaning Week
Spring cleaning has been a time-honored tradition since ancient times for both religious reasons and practical ones. It provides an opportunity to remove dust, dirt, and clutter from the home coming out of the winter months. Find out more about the origins of spring cleaning in our blog post.
National Cleaning Week has been celebrated by the cleaning and cleaning products industry for many years and has been recognized by several state governments.
Spring Cleaning Statistics
Each year, ACI conducts a National Cleaning Survey to find out the latest home cleaning trends.
- 95% of American households engage in some form of spring cleaning and 74% report doing so every year. (source)
- The top three rooms prioritized when spring cleaning are the kitchens (64%), bedrooms (61%), and bathrooms (59%). (source)
- When tackling spring cleaning, Americans find the dirtiest things in their home are the windows (65%), floors (64%), and the toilets. (source)
- 78% of American spending an average of six days spring cleaning their homes. (source)
Ways to Celebrate
- Commit to Clean: Find out why cleaning is such an important part of showing we care for one another and product loved ones and the community against the spread of infection and illness.
- Make a Plan: Our spring cleaning planning resources can provide a checklist and next steps.
- Spread the World: Share our materials on how to read a cleaning product label for #NationalCleaningWeek and help inform others about cleaning products.
- Show Appreciation: Cleaning professionals work hard to keep our spaces clean and this is a great time to show our support.