Q. How are your hand hygiene practices different now compared to before the spread of novel coronavirus or COVID-19?
- 64% I wash my hands with soap and water more frequently.
- 51% I am more mindful about washing my hands for at least 20 seconds.
- 62% I use hand sanitizer more often.
- 10% I have not made any changes to my hand hygiene practices.
Q. What hygiene or cleaning products are you using more now than before the spread of the novel coronavirus or COVID-19?
- Hand soap – 62%
- Hand sanitizer – 72%
- Multi-purpose disinfectant wipes – 48%
- Multi-purpose spray disinfectant – 40%
- Paper towels – 43%
- Toilet or bathroom cleaner – 30%
- Bleach – 23%
- None of these products – 10%
Q. How confident are you that the cleaning products you use will protect you against the spread of virus?
- 33% Very confident
- 53% Somewhat confident
- 8% Not confident
- 6% Not very confident
- 3% Not confident at all
- 5% No opinion
Q. Which of the following behaviors will you continue to do more frequently once COVID-19 is over?
- 68% More frequent hand-washing
- 56% Wiping down surfaces more often
- 52% Using disinfecting products
- 39% Wearing a mask
- 2% Other
- 13% None of these
Q. Do you believe businesses, schools and other public locations are maintaining an adequate level of cleanliness in preparation for cold and flu season?
- 51% Yes
- 30% No
- 19% Haven't thought about it
Q. What cleaning and disinfecting measures do you expect to see businesses take in order to maintain a safe environment?
- 73% Provide hand sanitizer for customers
- 77% Frequent wipe-down of surfaces
- 53% Signage displaying cleanliness measures and regulations
- 55% Providing disinfecting wipes for customers
- 3% Other disinfecting and cleaning protocols
- 5% None of these
Q. In general, I believe that businesses are cleaning:
- 29% Not enough
- 65% Enough
- 6% Too much
- Read Press Release on Business and Retail Cleaning
- Read Press Release for Global Handwashing Day
- Read Press Release on Consumer Confidence
- View March 2020 COVID-19 and Cleaning Survey Results
These are the findings from an Ipsos poll conducted September 10-11, 2020 on behalf of the American Cleaning Institute. For the survey, a sample of 1,005 adults ages 18 and over from the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii was interviewed online in English. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, both waves of the poll have a credibility interval of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for all respondents.
The American Cleaning Institute® (ACI – www.cleaninginstitute.org) is the Home of the U.S. Cleaning Products Industry® and represents the $60 billion U.S. cleaning product supply chain. ACI members include the manufacturers and formulators of soaps, detergents, and general cleaning products used in household, commercial, industrial and institutional settings; companies that supply ingredients and finished packaging for these products; and chemical distributors. ACI serves the growth and innovation of the U.S. cleaning products industry by advancing the health and quality of life of people and protecting our planet. ACI achieves this through a continuous commitment to sound science and being a credible voice for the cleaning products industry.