Q. What changes, if any, have you made to your hand hygiene practices since learning about the novel coronavirus or COVID-19 outbreak?
- 78% I wash my hands with soap and water more frequently.
- 58% I am more mindful about washing my hands for at least 20 seconds.
- 46% I use hand sanitizer more often.
- 10% I have not made any changes to my hand hygiene practices.
Q. What hygiene or cleaning products have you used more of since learning about the novel coronavirus or COVID-19 outbreak?
- Hand soap – 69%
- Hand sanitizer – 59%
- Multi-purpose disinfectant wipes – 44%
- Multi-purpose spray disinfectant – 36%
- Paper towels – 35%
- Toilet or bathroom cleaner – 23%
- Bleach – 9%
- None of these products – 12%
Q. How are you primarily using disinfectants on surfaces in your home?
- 26% Use as recommnended on the label
- 16% Make a quick pass with a disinfectant wipe
- 16% Spray and leave until air dried
- 9% I don't use disinfectants
- 6% Unsure
These results are the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted between March 18-19, 2020. For this survey, a sample of 1,005 adults age 18+ from the continental U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii was interviewed online in English. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, both waves of the poll have a credibility interval of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for all respondents.
The American Cleaning Institute® (ACI – www.cleaninginstitute.org) is the Home of the U.S. Cleaning Products Industry® and represents the $60 billion U.S. cleaning product supply chain. ACI members include the manufacturers and formulators of soaps, detergents, and general cleaning products used in household, commercial, industrial and institutional settings; companies that supply ingredients and finished packaging for these products; and chemical distributors. ACI serves the growth and innovation of the U.S. cleaning products industry by advancing the health and quality of life of people and protecting our planet. ACI achieves this through a continuous commitment to sound science and being a credible voice for the cleaning products industry.