The following question was asked of 1,000 adults (447 men and 553 women). The independent consumer research study was completed online by Echo Research February 29-March 4, 2012, on behalf of the American Cleaning Institute (ACI). The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percent.
How often, if at all, do you or someone in your household engage in spring cleaning?
- Every year (62%)
- Every other year (8%)
- Every few years (7%)
- Less often than every few years (4%)
- I never spring clean (15%)
The following online questions were asked of 798 adults (348 men and 450 women) who said they engage in spring cleaning every year. The results have a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percent.
Spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping.
- Strongly/somewhat agree (73%)
As the weather gets warmer, I feel the urge to spring clean my home.
- Strongly/somewhat agree (72%)
If it wasn’t for spring cleaning, I would probably never clean my home.
- Strongly/somewhat agree (men 18%, women 8%)
Hearing about spring cleaning reminds me to clean my home.
- Strongly/somewhat agree (55%)
How likely are you or someone in your household to spring clean this year?
- Very/somewhat likely (89%)
Which of the following items, if any, do you pay special attention to when spring cleaning?
- Windows (72%)
- Blinds/curtains (67%)
- Ceiling fans (65%)
- Carpets (65%)
- Clothing, closets and drawers (63%)
- Desks or other home office spaces (51%)
- Bed linens (48%)
- Hardwood or tile floors (46%)
- Upholstered furniture (43%)
- Trash cans (40%)
- Other (3%)
Which of the following rooms, if any, do you prioritize when spring cleaning?
- Kitchen (74%)
- Bedroom (73%)
- Bathrooms (71%)
- Family room/den (56%)
- Dining room (39%)
- Home office (25%)
- Kids play room (16%)
Which of the following best describes your spring cleaning habits?
- I spend a little more time cleaning my home in the spring (34%)
- I use spring cleaning to clean my home from head-to-toe (29%)
- I clean my home head-to-toe several times a year, but not necessarily in the spring (19%)
- I regularly clean my home, so I don’t spring clean (13%)