The following questions were asked of 1,008 American adults (500 men and 508 women). The independent consumer research study was completed February 25-28, on behalf of the American Cleaning Institute (formerly the Soap and Detergent Association), by Echo Research. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percent.
What changes have you made, if any, in your cleaning or laundry routines in the past year?
- Wash laundry in cold water more frequently (58%)
- Switch to multi-purpose cleaning products (41%)
- Use refillable cleaning products (38%)
- Bought high efficiency or energy efficient washer or dryer (36%)
- Do laundry less frequency (29%)
- Make your own cleaning products (12%)
- Women have changed their cleaning and laundry habits more significantly than men in the past year.
- 64% of women vs. 50% of men wash laundry more often in cold water
- 46% of women vs. 35% of men have switched to multi-purpose cleaners
- 43% of women vs. 31% of men purchased refillable cleaning products
Have you ever read the directions on a package of laundry detergent?
- Yes (62%)
- No (38%)
- As expected, men are less likely to "ask for directions." 68% of women have read the directions vs. only 55% of men.