Q. Approximately how many hours per week, if any, do you typically spend cleaning?
- 10% Less than one hour
- 21% 1-2 hours
- 26% 3-4 hours
- 15% 5-6 hours
- 28% 7 hours or more
- The average number of hours we clean is six, with parents spending 7 hours per week on average.
Q. Which of the following concerns, if any, do you have about cleaning?
- 38% Preventing illness or allergy symptoms
- 34% Whether I’m cleaning frequently enough
- 32% Areas in my home that I should be cleaning
- 31% Whether I’m cleaning correctly
Q. Which of the following do you do more often?
- 74% "Light cleaning," a general surface-level cleaning of your household
- 26% "Deep cleaning," a thorough cleaning of the entire household, including floors, furniture and surfaces
Q. Which of the following, if any, do you regularly clean?
- 88% Toilets
- 80% Floors
- 75% Appliances
- 70% Faucets
- 62% Carpets and rugs
- 60% Cell phone
- 56% Computers and tablets
- 45% Door knobs
Q. Which of the following activities do you dread most?
- 52% Cleaning the bathroom
- 23% Cleaning the kitchen
- 21% Dusting
- 20% Mopping
- 17% Doing the laundry
- 17% Doing the dishes
- 9% Sweeping
The 2018 ACI National Cleaning Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research (www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults, ages 18+, with an oversample of 500 Millennials, between March 7 and March 14, 2018, using an email invitation and an online survey. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points for the nationally representative sample and 4.4 percentage points for the Millennial oversample, from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the samples.