The following question was asked of 1,777 adults 18+ (664 men and 1,113 women). The independent consumer research study was completed online by Echo Research February 27-March 3, 2013, on behalf of the American Cleaning Institute (ACI). The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percent.
How often, if at all, do you or someone in your household engage in spring cleaning?
- Every year (72%) – up 10% from 2012
- Every other year (5%)
- Every few years (4%)
- Less often than every few years (4%)
- I never spring clean (12%)
- Don’t know (3%)
The following online questions were asked of 1,586 adults (585 men and 1,001 women) who said they engage in spring cleaning.
Which of the following, if any, do you pay special attention to when spring cleaning?
- Windows (79%)
- Blinds/curtains (73%)
- Clothes, closets or drawers (71%)
- Ceiling fans (68%)
- Carpets (67%)
- Hardwood or tile floors (55%)
- Bed linens (54%)
- Desks or other home office space (51%)
- Upholstered furniture (49%)
- Trash cans (48%)
Which of the following rooms, if any, do you prioritize when spring cleaning?
- Bedroom (76%)
- Kitchen (73%)
- Bathrooms (69%)
- Family room/den (61%)
- Dining room (45%)
- Home office (26%)
- Kids play room (15%)
Which of the following are included in your spring cleaning?
- Washing windows (80%)
- Cleaning behind furniture (80%)
- Cleaning appliances (72%)
- Scrubbing floors (70%)
- Washing bedclothes/linens (64%)
- Washing curtains (59%)
- Cleaning fabrics/upholstered surfaces (55%)
- Cleaning the garage (44%)
- Cleaning the basement (28%)
When it comes to cleaning your home, have economic conditions influenced you in any of the following ways?
- You buy less expensive cleaning products (35%)
- You do more cleaning yourself instead of hiring a cleaning service (33%)
- You buy fewer cleaning products (22%)
- Economic conditions have influenced your cleaning habits (18%)
- You mix your own cleaning products (12%)
- You clean less frequently (11%)
- None of these (28%)
- Don’t know (3%)
69% percent of respondents to this question indicated some type of cleaning product related behavior influenced by economic conditions (respondents could choose more than one option).