This independent consumer research study was completed in January/February 2008, on behalf of The Soap and Detergent Association (SDA), by International Communications Research (ICR).
Do you regularly engage in spring cleaning?
This survey question was asked of 1,013 American adults (507 men and 506 women) and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percent.
- Yes (77%)
- No (23%)
- The number of spring cleaners is up. In polls taken in 2002 and 2007, 65% of Americans reported regularly engaging in spring cleaning. In 2008, three-quarters say they regularly spring clean.
- More women spring clean (86%) then men (68%).
The following survey questions were asked only to 777 individuals who spring clean, 352 men and 425 women of the original 1,013. The questions have a margin of error of plus or minus 3.52 percent.
Which of the following are included in your spring cleaning?
- Cleaning behind furniture (84%)
- Washing windows (80%)
- Cleaning appliances (76%)
- Scrubbing floors (76%)
- Washing bedclothes/linens (75%)
- Cleaning fabrics/upholstered surfaces (66%)
- Washing curtains (63%)
- Cleaning the garage (53%)
- Cleaning the basement (42%)
- Priorities are approximately the same for men and women.
- Appliances, floors and bed linens are more important for women; as are the garages and basements for men.
Which of the following qualities are important in choosing spring cleaning products?
- Effectiveness (75%)
- Multi-purpose (54%)
- Cost (52%)
- Convenience (49%)
- Scent/fragrance (46%)
- Time-saving (45%)
- Brand (39%)
- Sustainability benefits (38%)
- People desire effective, multi-purpose products to get their spring cleaning accomplished.
For each of the following, please indicate if you strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree or strongly disagree:
- 93% agree, and 63% strongly agree, that a good spring cleaning makes keeping a clean home throughout the year an easier job.
- 82% agree, with 46% strongly agreeing, that a good spring cleaning helps them save time throughout the year.
- 96% agree, and 76% strongly agree, that a good spring cleaning includes discarding or donating items they don’t need.
- 93% agree, with 61% strongly agreeing that, spring cleaning makes it easier to determine the condition of their belongings.
If you could hire someone to do one of the following spring cleaning chores, what would it be?
- Washing windows (47%)
- Cleaning the bathrooms (23%)
- Cleaning the kitchen (12%)
- Dusting (8%)
- Mopping (7%)
- More women would have someone wash windows or clean the kitchen, while men would rather avoid bathroom duty.
Which of the following would you be most willing to give up in order to be able to hire someone to do your spring cleaning?
- One hundred dollars (29%)
- Dining out for a month (26%)
- Concert tickets (19%)
- A weekend trip (9%)
- One quarter would give up dining out for a month in order to hire someone to handle their spring cleaning for them.