The American Cleaning Institute is a 24 staff, trade association based in Washington, DC that represents approximately 120 member companies in the cleaning products industry. A recent name change, move to new office space in a LEED Green Building, nearby access to Metro, a competitive salary and excellent benefit package are just a few reasons to consider employment with this solid organization that has been in existence since 1926.
Student Intern focused on Science Communication
The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) is offering a full-time paid internship with a focus on science communication. ACI is the non-profit trade association representing manufacturers of household, industrial, and institutional cleaning products and their ingredients. ACI members produce more than 90 percent of the cleaning products marketed in the U.S.
ACI has a 65-year history of directing research related to the human and environmental safety of cleaning products and their ingredients, and regularly produces scientific studies published in peer-reviewed journals and presented at major scientific conferences. The intern will work with experienced ACI scientists in a team approach to successfully achieve the goals of the association.
The intern will support day-to-day operations of the science team. The intern’s main focus will be assisting with outreach of recent scientific projects to academics, regulators, industry researchers and the public at large using conventional platforms and emerging social media networks. There may also be interaction with ACI’s communications staff on related outreach projects.
The ideal candidate will be enrolled currently in an undergraduate or graduate program in a scientific discipline (biology, chemistry, environmental science, or similar) with demonstrated communications experience. However, we will also consider candidates majoring in communications that have completed collegiate level coursework in scientific disciplines. Candidates should possess general proficiency with personal computer software (e.g., Word, PowerPoint) and social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Development of synopses of recent ACI publications
- Monitoring and generation of content for major scientific and professional social media platforms (e.g., ResearchGate, Kudos, LinkedIn)
- Assisting with association scientific webinars, presentations, and publications
- Creation of infographics and fact sheets on scientific topics
- Catalogue national days relating to ACI’s science (Ex: GIS Day, Earth Day, etc.)
- Develop social media content surrounding the identified programs and days catalogued
- Identify social media opportunities based on hashtags
Additional responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in updating pages for ACIScience website
- Collecting information for ACI’s STEM program
On-the-job interactions will include:
- Continuous interaction with Technical Department staff, and all ACI staff as necessary
- Contact with ACI member company subject matter experts
- Contact with ACI project consultants
The internship at ACI’s offices in downtown Washington, D.C. is available for a minimum of ten weeks starting in late spring 2017 through the end of the summer. The intern will be paid $11.50 – $14 per hour depending on education level and will be expected to work between 30 and 37.5 hours per week.
Interested candidates should send a resume with a cover letter explaining their qualifications for the position and their availability by e-mail to: email@example.com.
For more information about ACI, please visit www.cleaninginstitute.org/science.aspx.
- Competitive salary and bonus program
- Paid health insurance includes medical, dental, vision and prescriptions (next month after employment)
- Paid Short term and long disability insurance and life insurance (after 90-day waiting period)
- Aflac available for staff
- Flexible Spending Plan for uninsured health, elder-care and child-care expenses (after 90-day waiting period)
- Office close to Metro (Metrocheks available)
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Generous 401(k) Plan (after one year waiting period)
- Vacation: Two weeks per year after 90-day initial employment period; 3 weeks after five years