The Manager, Government Affairs plays an important role in the development and implementation of the American Cleaning Institute’s (ACI) federal, state and local policy agenda. This position reports to the General Counsel, Corporate Secretary & Senior Vice President, Government Affairs and works collaboratively with ACI staff and member company representatives. The incumbent will support the Government Affairs internal and external communications to enhance ACI’s brand reputation and advance the Institute’s public policy advocacy agenda.
The incumbent will assist in the proactive messaging about the impact of policy issues affecting the cleaning products supply chain and must be able to communicate clearly, professionally, and effectively with diverse audiences via print and digital streams. The incumbent will prepare material content using all appropriate tools to provide tactical insights to facilitate discussions on the impact of policy issues to the cleaning products supply chain.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, political science, or related field. Minimum of four years of continuous full-time employment on Capitol Hill; other public policy or related experience is a plus.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, and digital presentation).
- Ability to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and application software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and other software programs) in a networked environment to create tracking reports and manage data.
- Working understanding of the legislative system at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Knowledge or experience with legislative tracking and monitoring services.
- Management of the ACI Plant Survey database.
- Ability to solve practical problems with little or no supervision.
- Support the development and execution of legislative and regulatory strategies designed to advance ACI’s purpose.
- Proactively identify policy issues affecting the cleaning product industry and assess their potential impact based on a thorough analysis of data and research and be able to plan and develop steps to engage policymakers accordingly.
- Proactively engage and develop legislative outreach tactics to advance policy initiatives.
- Develop and manage metrics tools to engage and measure advocacy engagement.
- Apply data analysis and visualization techniques to demonstrate government affairs function engagement and impact.
- Manage plant survey database.
- Maintain necessary recordkeeping to facilitate accurate reporting of ACI staff’s lobbying hours.
- Manage outside contractors and consultants for designated projects, as necessary.
- Draft testimony, issue memoranda, presentations and other documents; collaborate internally to keep website updated; manage records and filings related to lobbying; and manage internal records of the Government Affairs Department.
- Manage the administrative functions and record-keeping for the American Cleaning Institute Political Action Committee (PAC).
- Strong engagement in ACI PAC.
- Support the work of the Government Affairs Committee and related sub-committees, task forces and project teams along with the Senior Vice President and Director.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Other duties as required.
ACI offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to health insurance, all federal holidays, paid vacation, personal, and sick days, and a 401(k) plan.
Qualified applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to: Resumes@cleaninginstitute.org.