Tips for a Properly Functioning Septic Tank System
As with any equipment, a septic tank system must be correctly installed and maintained in order to work properly. These six tips will help ensure that you're properly managing your wastewater.
- Have your septic tank system installed by a licensed contractor following local guidelines and regulations.
- Have your system inspected and pumped out regularly, following local guidelines and regulations.
- Follow basic water conservation practices to avoid overloading the system. For example, fill the sink to do dishes rather than washing them under running water; don't leave water running continually while brushing teeth.
- Repair any leaky faucets or toilets.
- Divert other sources of water, like roof drains, house footing drains and sump pumps, away from the septic tank system. Excessive water keeps the soil in the drain field from naturally cleansing the wastewater.
- Be careful of what you put down the drain. For example, products not normally used with water, such as gasoline, motor oil, etc., should not be disposed into septic tank systems. If in doubt about disposal of a product, contact the manufacturer.